Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Singapore fling

Hi everyone, its Larna again....

Just letting you know that we managed to book a flight out of Singapore on the 30th of April (very relieved to know what we are doing now). So we have 10 days to kill so we'll probably head up to Malaysia or something....we'll let you know our plans. Singapore is great but accommodation is expensive relative to other Asian countries and they seem to be taking advantage of the situation by hiking prices up further. Our dump of a hotel last night stank of cigarette and is pretty grungy...for $60!! We only took it because our backs were killing us from lugging the packs around trying to find a hostel for hours. Our search wasn't helped by being held up at a taxi shelter for about 45 minutes due to what seems to be a regular downpour of torrential rain each afternoon.

But I sound so negative! I'm LOVING LOVING LOVING the food and the different neighbourhoods to explore....we wandered around Little India last night and we stuffed myself on curry then Jalebi and Laddoo....mmmmmmmmm my favourite. The night before was a wonderful Malaysian outdoor food court aptly named Glutton Bay where we had my even more favourite roti channai then chendol for dessert - fantastic.

I know a lot of people say Singapore is too sterile but I think that if you look around you can find an edge to it...not much of an edge I'll admit but still who needs one when you're surrounded by beautiful colonial and modern architecture, parks, rivers and all so kempt and clean. I reckon I could live here. (don't panic we wouldn't...I'm just thinking of Shamin's brother and sister-in-law who have been posted here).

We are now off to check into a really cheap dorm (finally managed to find one) to offset last night's expense (we were beginning to think we might need to camp in one of the park's - legal would you believe it, but probably not a good idea given the regular downpours - or the airport!).

Lots of love, Larna.

No comments:

Post a Comment