Friday, October 1, 2010

Farewell Chefchaouen, farewell Moroco




Tonight is our last night in Morocco, as tomorrow night we will be at the airport in Casablanca waiting to board our flight to Cairo. What can one say about Morocco? It is a unique, wonderful and exotic place. The people have been warm and friendly, finishing most casual greetings with "you are welcome" and indeed making you feel very welcome in their country. The highlights for me have been the trip to the desert and riding camels across the dunes, the winding, narrow lanes of the medinas of Marrakech and Fes, and the smaller towns of Chefchauen and Essaouria.

It has also been exhausting at times, with constant invitations to visit people's shops and restaurants and enormous pressure in many cases, to make a purchase, especially from those Berber carpet shop sellers! It is all part of the experience I guess, but not my favourite bit (I hate bargaining, just show me a price tag!)

There is also the feeling that many people are struggling to eke out a living here, and that the gap between rich and poor is enormous, none more so than the king who I have read has a fortune in the billions of US dollars. Everywhere you go, you see pictures of him though with an aloof look.

Anyway, rather than waxing on about my thoughts and theories, some photos of the surrounding hillside of Chefchauen, after Larna and I went on a walk above the town in the late afternoon today...







No comments:

Post a Comment