Monday, August 16, 2010

Bunny chow! Two visas down, three to go

The picture is of Larna about to tuck into one of the legendary mutton 'bunny chows' at the Golden Peacock restaurant in the Oriental Plaza, Jo'burg. For those who have not had the pleasure of eating one of these its basically a hollowed out white bread loaf filled with piping hot, spicy curry. (The Golden Peacock uses specially baked breads with thicker bottoms to keep the curry from spilling out. How ingenious!).

We were served by a charming white-haired, ear-muff wearing Indian waiter (it was a bitterly cold day), who showed us the proper way to eat a bunny - forget knives and forks, you break off bits of bread and mutton with your fingers, dip this in the seperate curry sauce bowl provided, insert in mouth and...mmmm mmm mmm!). He also explained the origins of this quintessential South African dish: when Indians first came to South Africa (to work on the mines I believe), they would sit together at lunch time and pass around a loaf of bread filled with curry and everyone would get to partake.

On the subject of all things South African and Indian, I am happy to report that I picked up my Indian tourist visa today from the Indian High Commission in Jo'burg. India feels so much closer now that I have the sticker in my passport, a passport by the way, which is rapidly running out of empty visa pages. I have three blank pages left. (I should get my new passport this week, come on Dept of Home Affairs, YOU CAN DO IT!)

So I now have an Indian visa and an American visa. I still have to get an Egyptian visa (hoping to apply tomorrow) and a Moroccan visa. Larna still has to get an Indian visa, which she should hopefully sort out this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment